Jewelry Care and Cleaning
Some tips to consider after you’ve made a purchase:
- We recommend having your everyday pieces professionally cleaned every 3 months, and having the gems in your everyday pieces checked every 6 months. We offer complimentary jewelry cleaning while you shop with us, have a repair done, or embark on a custom project.
- Avoid bathing, applying hand lotion and washing your hands or dishes while wearing jewelry — lotion and soap can become trapped under settings, dulling the sparkle of your gems and even irritating the skin.
- Following the same reasoning, it’s a good idea to take off all rings when cooking.
- It’s also a great idea to take off jewelry when doing anything high-impact with your hands – gardening, for example!
- Use a toothbrush and warm, mildly soapy water to clean at home between professional cleanings (over a bowl, not the sink!)
- A polishing cloth will de-tarnish silver and enhance the shine of polished gold and platinum. Re-oxidizing of blackened silver can be done in our workshop.
- White gold has a natural pale-yellow hue, so it’s often plated with rhodium to enhance its brightness – we can re-plate your white gold piece with rhodium if your piece is starting to look warm in color (indicating that the plating is wearing off).
- Avoid sleeping while wearing your jewelry. Necklaces especially can break with the tossing and turning of a deep sleep.
- Avoid swimming while wearing your jewelry, especially in the ocean, swimming pools, and hot tubs. Salt and chemicals aren’t gentle on jewelry, and can be rather abrasive!